Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Mom's Purpose Revisited

Today in MOPS we read a devotional about "Our Special Blend"- discovering our purpose. This is definitely something I have so struggled with after entering the world of mothering. It's funny to step back and see that really, it is a very important job- raising children to be productive citizens- but for some reason, or some demon, my sense of the importance undulated up and down and I have struggled in the past with the unsettling words "is this it?" Is the laundry, the discipline, the vacuuming, cleaning snotty noses, giving baths, fixing dinner, pep talks, the laundry, really that important, and most of all, is it really fulfilling my purpose in life? If you have kept up with my blog, you will see that I have broken free of this thought process, slowly but surely. Today I felt all the more affirmed that my purpose as Caleb, Christopher, and Thomas' mother is so fulfilling that my cup overflows! Here is a quote from our devotional:

"We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make, which over time, add up to big differences we cannot foresee." - Marian Wright Edelman.

I don't think I will be able to always relish in the tiny things during the day, but I know I am starting to settle comfortably and peacefully in the contentment of my purpose as a mother this day and for the next 18 years. So what about after that? Well the overall picture from our devo today gave me a bright fresh perspective on the scary thought of "who am I?" when the kids are grown.  When the time comes, I will cling to this gem,

"that [my] purpose is just being [myself] to the fullest"- The Coffee Mom's Devotional, Celeste Palermo

No comments:

Post a Comment