Friday, November 2, 2018

From An Author, After A Year


As an author stepping into the second year of publication, a few thoughts have rolled around in my writer’s heart. Five to be precise. If you are on this journey too, I would love for you to add to this list:
1. You never arrive. You just take a next step, or two, and find yourself in new territory with different challenges and triumphs.

2. If you write something that you want to shout from the roof tops, keep it. If you write something that makes you cringe, delete it. Drive and passion blossom a story, but edits are essential to confidence in sharing the story.

3. Don’t ignore those on the path behind you, and don’t envy those ahead of you. Community is the greatest treasure in the writing journey. I will never change my mind on that.

4. Writing is more than publishing. It’s a calling. It’s hard to distinguish the two..without the calling, a published book is just another product for a consumer. With the calling, the published book is art to be considered. I’d much rather be considered than bought.

5. Dreams start out small—if you settle with the seedling, you’ll miss out on the bloom.

I have always adored a good show of color, so while I wait, I will keep writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment