Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Joy of A Gift


Usually we let the birthday boy/girl decide what's for dinner on that special day. And we all know who will ask for what:

10 year old- hamburgers
7 year old- tacos
5 year old- greek spaghetti
Dad- Texas Roadhouse
Mom and 1 year old- Just give us cake!

So, out of the blue yesterday morning, my oldest says, "I want hamburgers and french fries for dinner...and don't forget the ice cream." Usually, I have a meal plan that I stick to, but it just so happened that I dropped the ball this week and his little suggestion sounded perfect! It was like a birthday preparation for me...I was all giddy to fill his small request, and excited to serve dinner that night. Okay, so you're thinking "this lady needs a past-time", but really, although I love to cook, I have been burned many times by unhappy recipients...or many times my meals have burned (or flopped)...Suddenly last night, I had joy in this daily task of preparing food, because I knew it would bring joy to my child. He asked for something, and I willingly and joyfully gave it to him.

Just give me cake!
I just can't help relating this to God's joy in giving His children good things. All night, I thought about how the God of the universe wants to give us what we ask.

In Matthew 7:7 Christ says, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives..."

And He continues in verse 11:   "So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him."


I don't think God just sits there, stoic and unemotional, and decides "this time I am going to say no". I think our Father in Heaven, sits on the edge of His throne, with His heart pounding in His chest, waiting for us to receive His blessing, and thinking "I can't wait to see her face when she receives all she asked for!"
Do you believe that? Do you know how much God loves you and wants to give you good things? I am sure that my son sometimes thinks, "Mom and Dad only want to say no, they don't want me to have anything I want, they ruin my fun". I know this, because I take this attitude with God sometimes too. "He doesn't want to answer that prayer, it's too frivolous," or "I don't deserve it."
Yet, it's clearly stated by His own son, that He does want to bless us!

My birthday celebration...ready for cake!
Christ himself said, "Ask and it will be given to you..." and later in the book of Matthew He says, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

 I got a glimpse of God's joy when I bestowed a small gift on my child who asked for it. Imagine the massive joy of God when you ask and receive? He wants to bless you and He wants to give you prosperity, hope, and a future!!  Do you believe that?

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Valentine's treat, heart pizza and sparkling grape juice



No comments:

Post a Comment