Thursday, January 26, 2012

Speak A Heritage of Faith In Your Children


Most of us moms of younger kids, come from parents whose generation grew up being told "kids should only speak when they are spoken too". Some days, I would love to have that philosophy around here...on the days when I have tons to do, and then kids won't stop asking, talking, yelling, trying to get their way. BUT, most of the time, I am SO glad we don't abide by this policy.
So many questions about faith, God, half-truths they hear from friends, come out because my kids know they are allowed to speak when they want. We are blessed to have such open communication as our society norm...at least, my Christian culture norm.
Recently, my women's group learned about "building a heritage of faith" within your children. It struck me as odd that I had never considered sharing my own testimony with my children. Especially as they have asked time and again about what our families think about church.

Psalm 102:18 says "This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the LORD."

Those that will be created are you, me, our children!

We should instill our faith in our children, share what God has done in our own lives, so they can speak up and ask questions, seek out the truth, find God in their own lives.
God gave me these kids for a reason...my husband and I are the best parents for them...so my story, my heritage of faith, what God has done in my life to get me to this point, is also for their ears.  And when they ask questions, it may not be at that moment, but maybe somewhere down the way, and I will be thankful that they feel like they can speak whenever they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment