Friday, February 18, 2011

Sunshine Soup for the Parent's Soul

One of our many hikes this summer.

We have been in such a funk. 

Back in October my husband and I made the ultimate decision of parents with school age children-- to stop all extra-cirricular (how the heck do you spell that word??) activities in the name of family time and our own sanity! It happened smoothly, since my 6 year old was burnt out on swimming lessons after 9 months of perfecting the backstroke, and flag football was ending...
That first week with absolutely no rushed dinners or evening chaos was delightful!

It's been this three months, and just this past month I have felt the repercussions of such a decision. 

WE ARE BORED!

Ugh, I said it! I hate that saying, I hate it when my kids say it, but I must admit, our evenings are getting pretty monotonous ...and I am tackling the guilt monster of not having the energy or desire to come up with fun family activities.
BUT.....
              YESTERDAY....
                                     boosted my spirits and I realized it wasn't all on our shoulders as parents.

It was 60 degrees, snow melted, and the entire town was out running, biking, playing basketball, throwing baseballs, walking dogs...and our little clan was in the midst of it. I breathed easy knowing my boys were having a full fun afternoon, and I wasn't required to come up with something to entertain them from the end of school to bedtime.

My boys love the outdoors!

We love our neighborhood! 

And we LOOOOOVE sunshine!


We are definitely an outdoor family, hence our many camping trips over the summer, and our love of get-aways that explore nature's beauty (ahem...the beach!)
My 6 year old was reveling in the breeze pouring into the car and said,

"I wish they made a perfume that smelled like that!" Exactly!

So with soccer and baseball season happily around the corner, I am excited to say we are venturing back into organized activities for the boys. 
We did enjoy our slow time....for a while...we had many times of feeling like a family hanging out together in the living room, being goofy, not feeling rushed...but after the long winter, I am ready for some more running around again!

2 comments:

  1. i love the outdoors...the sunshine and life...:) Hope this season brings many blessings to you and your family!

    Happy Weekend!!

    Love,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand the need to get out with three boys:) And I'm so glad that spring is around the corner too!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete