Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Bridge Between Heaven and Earth

The message at church today was so inspiring. It was everything I already knew, but it deepened my peace and faith. This past week was hard. I have never been so deeply shaken. The grieving was healthy and the time with my family was sweet, but the voice of lies entered my head as well. I could give you several reasons "why" I lost my baby...some environmental or physical, but the reasons that scared me most, were things I may have done to lose God's favor. My husband said,
"That's not the God I know. If that is how God is, then I don't want to have anything to do with Him."

And through much processing and remembering my life verse, Christ already made the sacrifice once and for all. I have nothing to sacrifice, not my pregnancy or anything in my life. It is done. I am comforted to know that God only has plans "to prosper me, not to harm me." And then today at church, the message was so clearly made for me.
The pastor reminded us that millions of people believe that good works brings God's favor. When in Christianity, God's Favor spurs good works. He initiates His favor, not us!
How can mere humans jump that awesome chasm between Heaven and Earth by anything they do? When we focus on rules, doctrines, and legalistic assumptions to try and reach God, we are wasting our time. There is a bridge that crosses that chasm, and it isn't of human efforts...NOTHING we have done or will do will earn us our gift of Heaven. Christ died on the cross for that...That CROSS is the bridge! If not, then He died in vain. He was the final sacrifice (see my life verse). What a relief!
The following verses were key in today's sermon...please know that the "law" is the religious law imposed through the history of the Jews...it can also be seen as the man made laws imposed by our churches today. (I don't want you to think that we are to break the laws set by the state! :) ):

 "Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain- if indeed it was in vain? Does He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law or by hearing with faith...Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us- for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree"- so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith...Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith." Galatians 3

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Supamom! It is always good to be reminded, as the pastor did, about good works bringing God's Favor. I try to live my life that way. It can be hard at times, like I mentioned in my "thank you" post, when others don't live that way, but we must continue to do good here on earth. You have a wonderful day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mama Hen. It's great to know that nothing we can do earns God's favor...His favor is a Gift! When we love Him, then it's only natural to want to do good for His people. Some people make it so hard thought, right!? Thanks for your post on kindness. :)

    ReplyDelete