Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Sweet Tooth Reminder

As I drove to the store tonight to get a yummy dessert for the boys, I surprised myself with old dreaded feelings about the anticipated bedtime routine. The car was quiet, I was alone, and I had time to contemplate deep thoughts- like chocolate and peanut butter and crazy boys at bedtime! (Please know sarcasm is intended!) Our bedtime routine has been rocky over the years, and we go through periods of battling as much as periods of bliss. The summer has undoubtedly knocked the routine out of whack as well as my husband and me wanting to usher them to bed without a peep so we can have the evenings to ourselves. Selfish? Yes, a little, but when the sun is still up at 9:30pm and hubby has to go to work at 6 am, our evenings seem so short.
So, it dawned on me (in the quiet car with chocolate cookies tempting me from the passenger seat) that we have been leaving out a crucial element to help the boys settle down- devotionals. I found some great age-appropriate devos for the boys at a Hearts At Home conference in March. During the school months, we were pretty consistent each night, and the boys felt cuddle time and one-on-one time was sufficient. But, oh summer! Lazy days of summer have trickled into lazy parenting at night!
We will try harder. As I write this, my husband's with the boys. They were giggly and squirmy at first, but I hear quiet now. Thank goodness for that sweet tooth that gave me some time in the car alone to reflect!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, summer can throw off the routine a bit! I have always been one to put my daughter in bed by 6:30 the latest.She gave up naps at 22 months and I have always wanted her to get enough sleep. Summer has added on an hour or so and I know she is pooped out! I hope you get a nice night where you can relax, have a cup of hot tea and unwind! :) Have a good night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have a good night! The boys settled down right away, and I was able to spend some one on one time with my oldest. They need structure and sometimes I am so not there! ;)

    ReplyDelete