Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Lakeside Spectacle

Tonight, we went on a family walk at our favorite nearby park. It is so therapeutic to get among nature and leave facebook, emails, dinner dishes, and dirty laundry behind for a bit! I couldn't resist taking pictures, although my husband really wanted me to put the camera down and just walk. But I have started seeing all the perfect little pictures everywhere since I got my new lens. I can't help it!
The walk started out okay, and I was feeling the peace of nature around me...for a minute. But the therapy tonight was not as peaceful as it started out to be!

My two older sons chose to take their bikes and rode ahead of us. At some point, my middle son began his typical whining which turned into a downright meanness towards us completely out of the blue. He has been having these emotional explosions lately, and I don't know if it's lack of sleep (highly doubt that), a growth spurt, or just a typical phase for a five year old. But tonight, it was almost comical. He lagged behind us (my husband took his bike away for his behavior), crying and complaining.
We passed people along the way who were trying to get away from our overly friendly dog and keep from staring at our miserable son at the same time. At one point, my husband made an attempt to distract our distraught son and introduced Mr. Grumpy to a young family sitting on a bench. It worked...for a second. But as we left, my three year old did some weird karate hand motions and made an inhuman sound from the back of his throat towards the already confused people. We were definitely quite a spectacle! I am sure many of the witnesses we passed along the path were parents themselves and probably felt much relief that at least their kids were "normal" compared to our crazy caravan!

3 comments:

  1. I am giggling over the karate movement and the strange sound! Kids do some funny things and wew as parents stand there watching in awe at times. I remember when I was a child pulling some of the Miss Grumpy days. I was looking at some old pictures for Cherished Moments and I saw some pictures of me on vacation pulling some really grumpy looks. As an adult I look back and remember how loving and wonderful things were. It gets harder as we get older. It is so nice that you went for that nature walk. I love the picture of all the "men" in the family by the lake. Beautiful! I hope you have a great day Supamom!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I have a hard time leaving my camera also. I always want to capture the special moments! However, I want to live in the moment too.

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Supamom! You have an award waiting for you! You deserve it! Let me know if you would like to do Thanksgiving Thursday this week! Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete