Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I am THAT mom, Lord HELP me!

 I hate to admit it, but I became "that" mom yesterday.

The one who feels that her child is the all star player and the rest of the team and coaches aren't giving him enough credit.

 Ugh! 

I sat at his baseball game yesterday, and grew frustrated that he wasn't getting a chance to pitch even though he was one of the key pitchers on his team last year. I even caught myself saying to my youngest son, "Wait, I don't want to miss if Caleb's going to pitch."

But what about missing if he's going to play first base, or third base, or Heaven-help-us, right field?

Why did I suddenly get so caught up in the competition, the fairness game, over Little League baseball? Seriously, I became the boy-mom version of those weird shows about toddlers and tiaras!
My son cried the first day he wasn't put in to pitch, but as much as I don't want to admit it, it was probably because all he hears from his parents is "Oh, Caleb's a pitcher"..."He blew them away at try outs with his pitching..."

We set him up!

It's so easy to point fingers at everyone but ourselves. Blame it on the coaches for favoring their own children (H-e-l-l-o, Pot calling the kettle black! Pardon the cliche!), blame it on that over-zealous parent behind me whose son is the golden player and gets the most time on the mound...you may refer to my cliche again.
So while I sat with my husband, and we mumbled to each other about how unfair it was, my son was intent on the game, ready to play with all his heart, without a grudge. He didn't stand there and cross his arms and stare down the pitcher or the coach. He gave it his best.
Something I can't claim as a spectator, or worse, a supportive parent.

Thank God my heart was convicted by this at the beginning of the season. To go through a month of two games a week with the sour attitude I had last night, would not make for a very happy kick off to the summer!

2 comments:

  1. Angie, your perspective is so refreshing. I am always inspired by your self-reflections and willingness to continue to grow as a person and in your faith. As someone who was never very good at sports, I'm impressed he's even playing. ;)

    And I have a feeling Caleb has many great games ahead of him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ashley. You are so sweet. He's a great sports guy...which he gets from Daddy, not me!

    ReplyDelete