Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Grand Canyon Kinda Time


Ah, the Grand Canyon. It's such a national/global marvel, so hyped up, that I was expecting to go to it and just check it off my list of places to visit.
But it was grander than I thought, more beautiful than I expected. Supposedly it is rare to see it with snow along the rim, so that even contrasted its rich color. And we only saw about 5% of it, and just that was a breath-taking experience....for me.

Can you believe we were only looking at a tiny portion of the Grand Canyon? It is 250 miles long!



Yeah, take three boys with overly zealous taste for adventure and competitive drive, and you'll not just appease them by walking along the rim of such magnificent beauty. Even though they had been talking about the Grand Canyon for months with anticipation for our trip, within 10 minutes of looking at it, they said,
"Let's go down it now."
"Uh...we can't do that. It'll take all day and it's a hard climb."
Whine, whine, whine, "I want to go down! Why'd we come all this way (4 hrs from Phoenix) to just look at it? Let's go back to the hotel."


Seriously? It's not like there weren't great meandering trails along the edge to admire the beauty, and even fun rocks to climb...but my boys wanted to CONQUER it!

My husband looked at me and said, "I know how they feel...hard to resist that urge, even for me."
My baby girl kept pointing to it...she knew what Mama's talkin' about!

So, I could sit and contemplate God's magnificent hand in such a wondrous place...all day...But my boys (and my man) would rather break a sweat, HIKE all day, and accomplish the feat of reaching the bottom.
well..she was ok, until passed off to a bro...and look at that snow!
Funny how differently we are wired!

No comments:

Post a Comment