Friday, February 3, 2012

Moody Camps

My moods shift according to my perspective. This is probably a no-brainer, but today, as I was driving my kids to school, I pinpointed the two camps that my attitude usually sits in on any given day:

The tail-end of the past

or

The threshold of the future

If I am at the tail-end of the past, I am still wrestling with past arguments, past hurts, and past annoying circumstances...whether it be days ago, or moments ago, I am sitting in the dank, stagnant camp of all that is behind me, and letting my feet wallow in the mud of regret.
This is when I am not "good" at anything. Quality is traded in for hopelessness, and contentment is traded in for worrying. My eyes settle on the negative, and I get sucked into a constant vacuum of all things gone wrong.

But...

If I place my attitude on the threshold of the future, I can't see all that's behind me. I can only see potential, excitement, the unknown which safely rests in the hands of my Savior. I can't find regret ahead of me, and I place my path in His Will, knowing He has a plan.

Yesterday was a terrible day. I ended it dwelling on all that went wrong, and ended up pushing everyone away from me. It's easy to let yesterday bleed into today, and dig my feet deeper into the mud. But, if I will choose to grasp on to the door jam of what's ahead, the brightness outshines the bleak, and I know I will be better for it.



Do you have practical ways to switch from the tail-end to the threshold?

No comments:

Post a Comment