Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A mother's sadness

I am sad for my son. Cody and I have always told the boys to include others when they are outside in the neighborhood.  My seven year old is intentionally being left out by others that he considers "good" friends at home and at school. I don't know if he has completely caught on, but I do know that he has been sadder lately, and hangs out inside the house even when the weather is beautiful. After spilling my tears to Cody, I don't feel any better, just frustrated that he is a thinker and doesn't let me know what's going on in his head. Beth Moore once quoted a mother who said, "You are only as happy as your saddest child." Happiness is fleeting fast. Please pray for our situation. I know it sounds petty, but it's a matter of good friendships or my son's self-esteem.

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. Try having girls! Even in kindergarten, there are cliques and some of the girls are really mean. It will work out. I explained to Madeleine that there is a lesson God is trying to teach us and we brainstormed what it could be. She felt much better after that. We also prayed for the "mean girls" for their heart to be softened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie. I remember 2nd grade, and it really is a growing up thing, but it's hard when you are looking at it as Mama Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes... Noah was having a hard time in his class, and so when I woke him up in the morning and before he went into class, I held his face - made me look me in the eye and told him, "You are wonderfully and fearfully made by a great big God who has His loving eyes on You. I think you're awesome, my boy. Go find the friends who are fun to be with, and be a nice person to be around, and this will disappear." I saw his smile come back to him.

    That was the strong moment when I had to be the better person for my boy. But really? I wanted to cry, too. It's hard to realize that our children will have to go through these lessons and we can't be there to shield them from it all! But...I'd rather them learn it now, when it's grade school mumbo jumbo than later when it's more "real" stuff.

    I hope this made sense.... I can relate, Ang. Parenting is hard on the heart.

    ReplyDelete